Design & Prepress
Our design and layout services will make you look good in print. We work from a variety of document sources, including printed or handwritten pages. Our complete service can take you through the entire process of readying your work for printing.
- Graphic design & illustration
- Book layout and prepress
- Photo editing and acquisition
- Editing and proofreading
- Transcription to digital files
For those who are more computer-literate, we can accept print-ready files that conform to our specifications.
Rates & Services
Our standard design rate is $55.00 per hour based on actual time spent with a project minimum of 1 hour.
Our standard book setup process includes the following:
- Determine the book dimensions, approximate page count and binding method.
- Create a demonstration document of 10 -12 pages in which we define the page margins, typefaces, headers, page numbering and other standard layout requirements.
- Conversion of your source files into plain unformatted text.
- Importing text into book design software, usually Adobe InDesign.
- Formatting the book according to the style conventions previously defined.
- Insertion of illustrations, photos and graphic content.
- Addition of title pages, credits & acknowledgements.
- Creation of table of contents and index.
- Design of cover illustration.
Editing of text including spell check, grammar check and general readability need to be done before the design process is initiated. Corrections can be made when the first proof is created but it is more expensive than fixing these problems in the plain unformatted text.
Estimates are by quotation as the print-readiness of your files can vary greatly.
To get an estimate, you need to submit your files and complete our custom quotation form.